Thursday, February 2, 2012

Feeling like I belong...

The days have been flying by like they're in a hurry to get away from me or something. But every day that I spend here I love it more and more. The sunshine helps a lot, but also the endless amount of beauty; palm trees, ocean, restaurants, music. Don't get me wrong, the bums love it here too. Yesterday Anna and I walked around Ocean Beach. I think this was the most highly concentrated amount of bums I've seen since I got here, it reminded me a lot of Burlington just in the wrong corner of the country. More cute shops, a few head shops and a lovely fishing pier. While it wasn't another bikini day, it was yet again an afternoon filled with perfection.


My first beach day was back on Sunday... Anna went into work at noon after we spent the morning at the Hillcrest Farmers Market, which was full of free samples; juicy oranges, award winning cheese, avocado and olive oils, YUM. I had a sandwich called the California Love, which I saved half of for my afternoon at the beach. We circled the market a minimum of three times, finding new places to stop each time and indulging in the goodness California locals have to offer. After dropping Anna off at work (she works in the Kate Spade store at Fashion Valley, an immense outdoor mall with lots to choose from!) I ventured out to Mission Beach on my own. Lucky enough to have a car at my disposal, I only got lost a couple times because of some missed turns. The beach was beautiful and poppin off with activity! I was happy not to be the only one braving the January weather in a bikini :)



After the beach, I made my way back to the mall and spent the evening walking around the shops. Anna met me after work for dinner at the California Pizza Kitchen. Monday was Anna's day off so we went to the island of Coronado... I didn't really know what to expect besides a California resort town, but it was much more charming than I could have imagined. Anna likened it to visiting Cape Cod in the summer, if it wasn't so crowded and filled with New Englanders. The Hotel del Coronado blew my mind.... We went inside the lobby and explored the grounds, but skipped over the $14 drinks. Coronado is a place I could visit for a week, but we were lucky enough to spend the whole day shopping and sunning and just being cool. Topping off the night the the Coronado Brewing Co for a happy hour pitcher of beer and nachos for dinner.


Tuesday was spent at the zoo for me! While Anna was at class, I was a kid in a candy store... I could write about the zoo forever, I could go on and on, but I'm going to save that for another space and just show off some quick photos. And to anyone who said the zoo was overrated, YOU ARE WRONG, the zoo was amaaaazing.






Phewf. This is really why I need to update this every day, I'm exhausted after a three day update. After my big day at the zoo I met Anna for happy hour at a swanky rooftop restaurant with views of the whole city. My time here has been spent in such company and I'm loving every minute of it. Yesterday was the day spent at Ocean Beach, so that's what life is like out here for me. Sunshine, beaches, shopping, drinks and friends! It's no wonder I like it here so much... Today my plans remain open. Anna is at class until 3 so I may investigate the trolley tours that run around the city, or just take a walk in the park soaking up some more rays. The forecast looks warmer for the next few days (!!!) and sunny, so I'm hoping for at least one more good beach day while I'm here. And tomorrow we begin our mini-road trip with concerts Fri and Sat night... So I better take it easy today whatever I do, big party weekend ahead!


No comments:

Post a Comment